Labels

Sunday, February 12, 2012

1.04


Guardsman Renfid saw a man suddenly appear out of one of the alleyways leading onto the main road, and immediately he became more alert. The man stumbled a few steps seemingly off-balance, and then stopped. He was visibly swaying where he had stopped in the middle of the road. It looked as if the man was trying to get his bearings. The man looked in Renfid's direction and even at a distance one could see a large grin appear on his face.
The man started to sing as he walked toward the Gatehouse. He didn't walk in a straight line, but rather drifted towards either side of the road as he approached, halting every now and again when it seemed sure he would fall if he took another step.
The man appeared to be drunk and had a wineskin in each hand, but Renfid had been a guardsman for a long time and had learned never to judge a situation by appearances. And with the current unstable climate in the Realm violence and revolt never seemed more than a breath away. He motioned with his left hand and guardsman on either side of him stepped forward a few paces, forming a box that the man would have to step into if he came up to the Gatehouse.
The man seemed oblivious to the manoeuvre and continued towards the guards. Renfid could hear some of the words to the song now and recognised it as an old soldiers song about a buxom lass and her angry father. It was well-known among men who had served in the King's Army.
When the man was about ten paces away from him Renfid raised a gauntleted hand, but was interrupted before he could speak.
"Ho there Captain! How goes the wash?" asked the man, covering a few more paces before managing to stop himself.
"Wash?" asked Renfid.
The man suppressed a giggle, and repeated himself, concentrating on his words.
"How goes the watch!" he said.
"All is quiet citizen. How can we help you?"
"Help? I don't need help. Right ash rain is what I am. Going to the warehoushes."
"Nobody enters the Inner City without a pass."
The man nodded and hanging one of his wineskins on his belt he reached into his tunic, oblivious to the immediate tension that created in the guardsman. He produced a small scroll and held it out towards Renfid, who had to step forward a pace to take it. Now that he was close enough Renfid could smell strong drink. He opened the scroll and read it.
"This is a merchants pass. You don't seem to have anything to trade?" asked Renfid, studying the man. He was slightly taller than the average man and lean rather than muscular, but despite the drunkenness he seemed to have an inherent strength to his movement. His hair was dark, and so were his eyes, with a strong jaw. He definitely did not look like a drunkard.
"That's true, friend. I brought the wagons in earlier. First time my master let me do the trading myself." he was obviously making an effort to speak clearly.
"So, why are you wanting to go back into the city?" asked Renfid.
"Well, the trading went very well, and one of our best customers was very happy with his goods and decided we should celebrate. I'm not one for drinking usually, and I managed to lose track of time. And now, I'm out here and my masters wagons are in the city. I was supposed to be halfway back home already." he gave Renfid a sheepish grin.
"Please, friend. I need to get on my way back to Ferrinbridge as soon as possible."
Renfid looked at the pass, and back at the young merchant thinking deeply. It wasn't unusual for people to try getting into the inner city at night, but undesirables were easy to pick out. He had an odd feeling that the man was familiar somehow, but nothing he was sure of.
"Look, I can see that you are an honourable man trying to do a difficult job. Perhaps I can give you something to hold as surety?" said the man.
Renfid raised an eye. "You want to bribe me?"
"No, sir! I merely thought to give you something that you would hold until I brought my wagons back through the gate. Something valuable enough to guarantee that I stayed out of trouble."
"And what would that be?"
"Well, the only thing I have on me are the notes of debt from today's trade..."
Renfid could see the worry in the young man's eyes, and decided that he was definitely not a threat.
"Never mind that." he said. "Get along."
The young man's eyes lit up. "Thank you sir. Thank you." he started off toward the gate, then turned and handed one of his wineskins to Renfid. "For after your shift." he said, winking. He turned and sauntered off through the Inner Gate, still unsteady on his feet.
Renfid opened the skin and sniffed. He couldn't believe it. The skin contained 'ulat'. He was going to have to end his shift early tonight. He didn't give the young merchant another thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment