Sunday, February 12, 2012
1.13
"Don't move," said the melodic voice from the darkness, "I will shoot you if you try anything."
"I believe you." said Cord, not moving from his crouch. He could make out a lot more now that his eyes were becoming fully accustomed to the dark. When he had tackled the assassin into the room, they had rolled into an antechamber. To his left were what must be doors leading into the actual bedroom, in front of him was a small chair. There was a couch to his right, and rising from a crouch behind it was the woman. She had a small crossbow trained on Cord, held in a steady hand. Her features were in shadow, and Cord could not see her face. She moved toward the door where she lifted a shade from a burning lamp. Light flooded the room, and it seemed to Cord's eyes that the sun had suddenly risen. He squinted and studied the woman.
She was beautiful. It was not a term that Cord applied to many, but the woman deserved it. She had long dark hair that was neither straight nor curly, and skin that seemed to be polished bronze. Large green eyes that seemed to pull in the light. She was wearing buckskin trousers and a hunting tunic that allowed Cord to see the curving contours of her body.
"Sit in the chair." she said, indicating towards the small chair in front of him with one hand.
Cord entered khudin. He could not afford to be immobilised. He would convince her that he was not a threat, but he would not do so from a vulnerable position.
He launched himself at her. Her eyes widened in surprise, but she pulled the trigger instantly.
In khudin time moves slower. As Cord moved toward the woman he watched her finger tighten on the trigger, and saw the bolt slid forward along the stock. His right shoulder dipped automatically as his subconscious calculated the trajectory of the bolt. The air seemed thick as the bolt left the crossbow with an angry snapping noise from the string. It tore through the air just above his shoulder on it's way to embedding itself in the far wall. In that time Cord closed the gap to the woman and disarmed her of the crossbow. He stood in front of her smiling, with the crossbow now in his hand, as khudin fled and life returned to normal speed.
Her mouth opened.
"I'd prefer it if we talked, before you start screaming" he said, keeping his smile in place. He wanted to talk to her, but if she tried to raise the alarm he would have to prevent that. Using force on such a beautiful woman seemed wrong somehow.
She shut her mouth for a moment, then she spoke. "That was incredible. I've never seen the like of it."
"You should get out of the palace more," replied Cord.
She smiled at that, then she attacked.
Cord was surprised by the attack, but his training kicked in immediately.
Her attack was fast and sure, several hand and foot strikes in rapid succession forced Cord to step backwards as he parried. She saw that Cord was still smiling, and that seemed to fuel he attack. Her right hand shot towards his jaw with more speed than many men he had fought, and her balance was very good. Whether he deflected her blows, or simply evaded them, she did not once lose her footing or get thrown off balance. Cord was impressed.
He side-stepped her next attack. "You are very skilled, my lady".
She turned to face him slowly. "Until a moment ago I thought so too." she said looking him in the eye.
"You have trained with the Warriors of Sho," said Cord, "I see the influence of their strikes in your attack"
"Yes, and also with the Nordmen, the Saldissins, and the Bal Min Faran."
"A good education... for a warrior. Why would a noblewoman endure such?" Cord was curious.
"My father insisted. He wanted to be sure that his daughter was as good as any son he could have had."
Cord could hear some anger in her last comment.
"I think that you succeeded. I have fought many, and few were as good as you."
She seemed to be comforted by that thought. "Nobody that I have fought was as good as you," she said.
"Well, I had better teachers than you did. But that is a story for another time. Now, I need to get some information. I assume that you will not try to shoot me again?"
"I never intended to shoot you!" she said, "You surprised me. I had hoped that you might be an ally.
"Well, in order to be allies, it pays to know one another's names. I am Cord Caldragin."
"I am Krissa," she replied.
Cord held in a gasp. The lady before him was supposed to be dead, because if she was alive she would be the Queen!
Labels:
Chapter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment